Job Title: Commercial Manager
The purpose of this role is to implement and manage commercial best practice to maximise value and minimise risk and cost to the company in the execution of projects and delivery of services. The Commercial Manager will work as a key element of the overall projects delivery team focusing on the commercial and contractual management of projects.
The project teams work with designers, contractors and for customers in Municipal water, Industrial, Healthcare and Scientific research organisations. Most projects will be bid and managed in UK and Ireland but on occasions, support may be requested from other parts of the company globally.
- Facilitate compliance with H&S, QA&E systems, processes and procedures to deliver post contract commercial management of projects with a typical annual contract value of £15-£30m.
- Work within the strict deadlines and review and contribute to project reports including cost value reconciliations and cash.
- Assist and advise the project managers and engineers in ensuring timely issuing of all notices required under the contracts. Identify potential changes to the work scope with other project team members to ensure all contractual notices and early warnings are submitted in a timely manner.
- Identify and review the existence of any potential claims including delays and extension of time situations in conjunction with other project team members and determine the appropriate course of action in conjunction with the projects manager.
- Facilitate the recording of contemporary records by the project team members for use in supporting claims and the evaluation of variations both with the companies customers and its supply chain.
- Ensure that all aspects of subcontract procurement and payment are appropriate and adequately protect the company in terms of risk management and return.
- Support the sales and proposal processes and strategy as required on bids up to value of £20m
- Proactively instil commercial and contractual awareness throughout the project teams.
Skills, Qualifications &Experience:
- An individual professionally qualified in a construction discipline (Commercial Manager, Quantity Surveyor, Project Manager, Engineer etc.) and/or with a related legal qualification.
- Proven experience within a projects, legal or commercial role within a process mechanical and electrical business, the construction industry, or specialist high-value OEM projects environments.
- Proven experience of pre and post-contract administration including the review and negotiation of terms and conditions, change order control, notices and fee entitlements.
- A good working knowledge of the range of standard forms of contract such as NEC, I Chem E, JCT, FIDIC and Government Frameworks PFI.
- Understanding of a range of commercial instruments such as bonds, guarantees, insurance, warranties and letters of credit.
- Experience and ability to review and to negotiate terms directly with clients or their legal/commercial representatives to drive mutually beneficial outcomes, including dispute avoidance/resolution
- A collaborative approach to work, willing to share knowledge, experience, ideas and expertise for the betterment of group and self.
- Good Knowledge of MS Office suite and ideally, Google suite of business software
- Strong desire to further client relationships whilst ensuring that the companies contractual entitlements are not compromised.
- Proficiency in other language(s) – desirable but not essential.